Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Espanish

I was able to talk to people on the phone in Spanish today, more than once! This is a huge accomplishment for me. When I first came here, I tried to answer in Spanish, but I ended up just saying "sí... sí... uno momento por favor" before passing the phone off to whomever I thought they wanted to speak with.

Now, thanks to a suggestion from Camby, I answer the phone in English. I think this causes people to speak Spanish slower and more clearly, as they can sense that I'm not a native speaker, even though they continue to speak in Spanish. Today I spoke with a businessman about a TN he has taken, and guy who was interested in going on exchange with AIESEC, and a girl who ended up being Scottish so we spoke in English.

Now I just have to learn how to answer the phone and talk in Spanish without the rest of the team giggling behind me, lol.

No comments:

Post a Comment